Monday, April 19, 2010

Pannenkoeken Cafe

I have been a very bad blogger lately. It's partly my fault and partly that of my busy husband who has been monopolizing the home computer with work. This week I am vowing to be better. I plan to use any 'lunch' break time I have to catch up on posts.

First up: Pannenkoeken Cafe, a teeny brunch spot in Lincoln Square famous for their Dutch pancakes. One rainy Saturday a few weeks ago, a friend and I ventured here for a late brunch. Teeny is really an understatement, this place only seats 20 people. Be prepared for a wait on the weekend - it was about 45 min. for us.

Pannenkoeken has all the traditional breakfast foods (omelettes, American pancakes, bacon, etc.), but their specialty is a wide variety of dutch pancakes. These pancakes are thinner and less sweet than the American variety, and are similar to crepes. They are finished off with a large assortment of toppings that can be savory or sweet. I had one topped with sausage, mushroom and cheese.

I like crepes and enjoyed my Dutch pancake, but I probably wouldn't go back. This restaurant is just too small and although the food was good, it was not good enough to warrant the wait. They have a larger location in Wicker Park, and maybe it's worth a try, but there are so many good restaurants in Chicago that I'd rather try a new place.

Tab: $15 for a dutch pancake and coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment