Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Southport Grocery & Cafe


Known for incredible baked goods and long lines, I headed to Southport Grocery & Cafe for lunch with mixed feelings. I thought it would probably be delicious, but I might struggle to enjoy it after waiting for too long (see last post for more on lines). The lines are long, but this place is absolutely worth the wait. A friend and I waited for 30 min. for a late lunch, but we didn't mind - it allowed us to walk around the Southport Corridor on a really lovely day.

When we were seated, I ordered a Diet Coke (it came in an adorable miniature glass bottle) and the chicken salad. The salad is a "white meat chicken-grape-sour cream salad" served with baguette, flatbread & mixed greens with a shallot vinaigrette. It was outstanding. The chicken salad was so tasty and despite the sour cream/mayo combination, it tasted kind of healthy.

My friend got the grilled turkey sandwich served with red potato mash. The sandwich was very good, but the red potato mash was the real standout of her dish. It had the homemade look and was really hard to stop eating.

On the way out, I bought a chocolate cupcake to bring home. The cake itself wasn't anything too special, but the frosting was a decadent vanilla butter cream. Mark and I very much enjoyed it!

I can't wait to go back to Southport Grocery & Cafe! I really want to try their breakfast items and other sandwiches. It all looks terrific.

Tab: $13 for a chicken salad and Diet Coke

No comments:

Post a Comment