Saturday, February 13, 2010

Smoque

Honestly, when I saw that the a la card had a gift card to Smoque BBQ, I squealed with joy! It meant I had a reason to go to one of my favorite places in Chicago. Last weekend, Mark and I took our guests to this northwest side favorite and we all ate far too much.

When Mark and I are debating where to eat out, often our first thought is to head to Smoque. This place is really popular, and deservedly so. There are routinely one to two hour lines on Friday and Saturday nights, and we try to avoid those by going on off-days or at odd times. On this past visit, we went for a late lunch around 3:00 and still waited 20 min. Waiting here actually means standing in a grocery style line until you order, pay at the checkout and wait for a table to open up. Still, it is completely worth it. The place is BYOB, so just discreetly open your beer while waiting.

Smoque is in a garage-like space with the menu written on a huge chalkboard on one wall. People can order brisket, pulled pork, ribs, chicken or sausage with a choice of various sides. I've tried everything on the menu except the sausage and it's all good. My favorite, and my regular pick is a half pulled pork sandwich with a side of fries, baked beans, cornbread (instead of coleslaw) and peach cobbler. Even if you don't feel like dessert, do yourself a favor and order the cobbler. You will not regret it. It's a perfect little serving and is one of my favorite dishes. It's gooey and warm in the middle, but has a yummy brown sugar topped crust.

We've brought lots of people here from out of town, and everyone has loved it. I can't recommend this place too strongly -it's absolutely worth a trip and will become a favorite for you. Just plan to go when you don't have anything planned afterwards, because there will probably be a wait and you will want a nap.

Tab: About $20 for two people

No comments:

Post a Comment