Thursday, January 21, 2010

Restaurant Number One: Big Jones

First thing to know about getting married is that things don’t slow down. Mark is still crazy with year three of medical school, and since his surgery rotation has started I get the feeling I’ll be eating out without him quite a bit, unfortunately. Since Dyan gave us the à la card Chicago for a wedding present, I figured she would be a good substitute date.

We met for an early lunch at Big Jones in Andersonville on MLK day. The restaurant serves coastal southern cuisine and they try to feature local and seasonal food. The décor is lovely with antique looking chairs and soft lighting. Dyan and I took a seat at the front window and started chatting.

Dyan started with coffee and I had peppermint infused hot tea. Dyan’s coffee was okay, but the crème our waiter brought to accompany it had curdled. When she requested a different crème, we were greeted with no apology or explanation. Instead, our waiter stared blankly and said nothing while removing the spoiled coffee and crème. When he returned he still didn’t acknowledge the problem.

We laughed it off and resumed our meal with the cornbread starter that the restaurant provides for free. The cornbread is very good, but could be even better if it were served warm. We then ordered the fried chicken salad for Dyan and the blackened chicken sandwich and side salad for me. Both dishes were good. My sandwich had a great garlic aioli spread on it and was served on a delicious roll. Dyan’s salad was a good size and didn’t skimp on the chicken. We were both pleased.

It was a good start to the deck. Not perfect, but good. I’m not running to go back since the service was so unfriendly, but I would try it again. I hear their desserts are delicious!

Tab: Around $30

No comments:

Post a Comment